Monday, November 5, 2012

Micro Aquarium Week Three

I viewed my aquarium for the third time on November 2nd at 12 pm. 

On October 26, 2012 a beta food pellet was added to my micro-aquarium. The company which produced it is "Atison's Betta Food" made by Ocean Nutrition, Aqua Pet Americas. The location is 3528 West 500 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84104. The ingredients are: Fish meal, wheat flower, soy meal, krill meal, minerals, vitamins and preservatives. The analysis shows that there is: Crude Protein 36%; Crude fat 4.5%; Crude Fiber 3.5%; Moisture 8% and Ash 15%. 


This week I did not get any new pictures on the microscope, however I observed many more organisms in my aquarium than what existed previously. 


There appeared to be more midge than last week. In fact, I observed two new midge which looked the same as the first one I have been observing over the past three weeks. There was a new worm in my aquarium as well, it is white and very long, almost like a sewing thread. At the time I observed my aquarium, the worm was coiled up so it was very small, however you could see it without a microscope, so it was quite large in comparison to the other organisms I have seen. When it moved, it did not go very far, and usually coiled back up very quickly. I thought this may have been due to the light of the microscope on the organism, as it could have gone into defense mode. 


The Cyclops I viewed previously is looking more or less the same as the picture I posted previously (as seen below). His movement has slowed considerably, which may be due to the time of day, or space constraints which he is not used to. 





The snail mollusks have been rapidly hatching and growing, they practically take up all space in the aquarium. Just as I predicted in my last post, there is definitely no shortage of snails! They are everywhere you look! It is going to be very interesting, as it already is, to see how they develop and grow even larger and in greater quantity while in such limited space. I have noticed that the snails tend to stay more near the bottom of the aquarium, and around the egg sac as well. This, I concluded would possibly be because there is more food source at the bottom.




In this picture you can see how the snails are so common, and that so many have hatched, as just in this one field of view there are two present.

All in all, I have been lucky to have such a occupied aquarium of organisms. I have enjoyed observing my aquarium as there has been so much going on.


So, what I observed this week is:
- The effect the food pellet had on growth in the aquarium
- Snail mollusks hatching and multiplying rapidly
- The cyclops is moving slower
- There are more midge in the aquarium

No comments:

Post a Comment